Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What did I do?

So on Sunday, Eric announced that there would be a Career Workshop taught on Saturday at BYU. Having taught the Career Workshop in Florianopolis and Porto Alegre, Brazil (while managing the Employment Center in Floripa), I firmly believe that this is something all college students should take to prepare for getting a real job! Of course, I opened my big mouth in support of the program.

Let's jump ahead to today....

I just got home from our second meeting. I am one of four teachers teaching the workshop on Saturday and there is lots to do to prepare. We've had about 60 RSVPs which is double the largest group I taught in Brazil. We're also condensing the 12 hour workshop into 4 hours. I'm excited but also wondering how I got myself into this. You see, Eric happened to be one of the organizers, and when he realized that I was a certified instructor, he jumped on the opportunity to have me help teach.

So here I am, ready to teach Power Statements, Networking skills, getting past the Gatekeepers, Me in 30 seconds, resume building, etc. Just remember, the resume is the tip of the iceberg. It's the intangibles that employers want to discover and you need to show them exactly who you are beneath what they can see. That's what we teach!

3 comments:

Myrna said...

Maybe I should go to this...

David said...

It's Saturday at 9:30 in room 3880 (or something) of the WILK and goes until 1:30.

Myrna said...

Good class; thank you.